Whether your dream Mykonos holidays include a fun time with the kids or long partying hours with friends, the single most important thing that has to be just right is your beach time. So, although, yes, Mykonos is primarily known as a party island, let’s not forget that it is also one of the most beautiful Greek islands – that alone is tied to irresistible charm and allure. This means that Mykonos is the perfect option for both families with children and people focused on the vibrant night scene and amenities like beach clubs, nudist-friendly shores, gay bars, and parties. This guide will help you enjoy your time by the sandy Mykonos shores with the little ones or your group of friends!
Top 6+2 Mykonos Beaches for Families with Children
Among the many options available (the entire Mykonos coastline is full of fine-sand beaches with crystal waters and water sports facilities – some more wind-protected than others), a few shores definitely stand out for their unparalleled kid-friendly amenities. The following beaches are all easily accessible by bus (from Chora or Mykonos Town) and create the perfect conditions to treat yourselves with some fantastic beach-time opportunities away from the busy Mykonos Town night scene.
- Agios Ioannis – Although it can get quite crowded (do consider coming here early for that reason), it is an exceptional beach with clear and calm waters and a shallow sandy seabed for youngsters to enjoy, away from things like loud music and crazily partying beachgoers.
- Agios Stefanos – This is the closest beach to Mykonos Town (the island capital), which means that you will probably be provided with a greater abundance of places to eat. Agios Stefanos beach is wind protected while also featuring shallow crystalline waters (so, perfect for the kids).
- Kalafatis – A well-organised shore offering restaurants, sunbeds, umbrellas, and water sports facilities. It is also one of the quietest beach options in Mykonos.
- Ornos – A trendy shore with a resort atmosphere, lots of places to enjoy delicious seafood and local tastes, and sugary sand.
- Platis Gialos – Expect a really large and wide sandy beach with plenty of tourist amenities and shallow, transparent, azure waters.
- Kalo Livadi – Despite the overall Ibiza-like sensation you get from visiting this shore, it is merely a loud party beach. Kalo Livadi is one of the most family-friendly options along the Mykonos coastline, with calm and shallow waters for the kids and more than enough sandy space for everyone.
Note: Psarou and Ftelia beaches are also superb family-friendly options that combine the amenities you want for you and the children with the beach fun Mykonos is renowned for providing without going to extremes.
Top 4 Mykonos Beaches for Partying
If your ultimate (or only reason) for visiting the Island of the Winds is to soak up the party vibes and get a good taste of its cosmopolitan pull, then the following shores will meet your needs pretty satisfactorily!
- Super Paradise – You will find it 7km southeast of the island’s capital. You can’t get here by hopping on the boat from Paradise Beach or Platis Gialos (no direct buses, unfortunately). It’s one of the most gay-friendly Mykonos shores with a particularly lively party scene after sunset, involving cocktails and lots of dancing.
- Paradise – Just around 5km from Chora, this shore was once a popular gay beach. Today, it attracts predominantly straight vacationers looking for non-stop fun till the early wee hours. Indeed, the more you move after midnight, the wilder the party gets! You can come by bus from Chora or a water taxi.
- Paraga – This particular beach gathers probably the largest number of party beach clubs on the island. It’s located between Super Paradise and Agia Anna beaches on the south of Mykonos and also offers captivating sunset views.
- Panormos – This large stretch of sand features a busy beach bar playing music from day to night to almost sunrise and serving cocktails in between your sea diving endeavours. However, it also has more isolated spots for those wishing to unwind a bit before stepping back into a party mode.
Tip: To explore even more Mykonos beaches, you could jump on the water taxi that runs along most beaches on the south side of the island. The Agios Ioannis Beach-Elia Beach route will get you to the most popular and celeb-favoured shores easily.
Now you know, so get out there and spoil yourself and your loved ones with the pampering Mykonos is waiting to give you!